Tuesday 15 January 2008

apathy an anger songs and slogans

I did think it was quite odd to write my ideas on the internet for everyone (or noone) to see but then i thought i'd give it a try, it's late i'm tired but i can't sleep. I should introduce myself without giving myself away too cheaply. I go to oxford university but it's not lke you think domethings are better than i expected (not everyone's posh or nerdy) some are worse and this is what really gets me how can people who are so intelligent be so apathetic how can people who STUDY politics not care about its implementation, how can you study history and ignore ideology? How can a biologist fail to recycle, or a theologian pass a homeless person like they would pass a piece of litter?


I was just thinking about pithy little things which sum up how you feel, which hit home in the way long speeches can't. I was reading baout the spanish civil war today (oddly enough, cos that's what i do ) and i came across a picture a boy not very old stood in the street holding a blunderbuss which wouldn't be much use against the fascist hordes, to be honest i wouldn't have backed him in a confrontation with an angry goat or well riled schoolgirl. But this boy was stood there giving the anti-fascist salute to the photographer and on his barricade he'd written "no pasaran por aqui" they won't get past here.
I think that sums it up really, much more than anything else i have seen or read, that really hit home. He took what he had and he faced up to everything that he thought was wrong, and he stood up for his dream, the war might be won or lost but he was making damn sure that there in that street in rural spain anarchsim was alive and well and the fascist weren't coming past.


I think we could all learn form that (and from the response of Britiain which was to turn a blind eye and a cold shoulder...) so next time something pisses you offer pick up your blunderbuss and pile your furniture on the street and don't let them past!

No comments: